The final stage of the GLS is the licence assessment which consists of both an off-road and on-road assessment.
The assessor will be focusing on the riders ability to show safe riding techniques along with riding skills i.e-
- Lane positioning (buffering)
- Looking, slowing down and moving away from potential hazards (e.g. Vehicle waiting at give way or stop sign)
- Ensuring safety before proceeding (e.g. checking for red light runners, motorcycles lane filtering etc.)
- Speed (adjusting appropriately for various scenarios not just the speed limit)
The assessment is one on one with the trainer and goes for approximately one hour.
- 18 years of age or older
- a Victorian resident
- have held an Australian motorcycle learner permit for at least three months right before you apply or have held a motorcycle licence issued in Australia, New Zealand or another country within the last five years.
- need to be medically fit to drive
- completed a hazard perception test (not applicable for licence holders)
- have completed a Check ride (not compulsory if completed motorcycle learner permit prior to 2nd April 2016)
Once successfully completed the licence assessment, you will be issued with a Victorian motorcycle licence with 3 years with restrictions. (a temporary paper licence will be given to you on the day)
If your motorcycle licence was issued on or after 1 October 2014, you are subject to the following restrictions for 3 years:
- Must not ride a motorcycle unless the headlight(s) of the motorcycle are on at all times.
- Must only ride a motorcycle fitted with an automatic transmission if the motorcycle licence skill assessment was passed on a motorcycle fitted with an automatic transmission.
- Must carry the driver licence card at all times when riding or a receipt until the driver licence card is received.
- Must not use a mobile phone for any purpose (hands free or hand held) including sending or reading text messages, when the motorcycle is moving or stationary in traffic.
- Must not ride a motorcycle which is towing a trailer.
- Must not ride a motorcycle other than a learner approved motorcycle (LAMS).
- Must not ride a motorcycle carrying a pillion passenger (a motorcycle and sidecar is acceptable with a passenger).
- Must have zero Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) when riding a motorcycle (0.00).